FAIR LAWN, N.J. (AP) _ The dragnet for a man accused of killing a New Jersey police officer ended much the way it began: with a high-speed car chase and a wild gunfight between authorities and the suspect.

Deputies in Florida Sunday gunned down Omar Marti, 23, who allegedly shot and killed a New Jersey police officer last week, then led authorities on a multi-state manhunt.

Marti was found with a small arsenal of firearms, including an AK-47 assault rifle, said Lt. Bobby Caruthers of the Sumter County, Fla., sheriff's department.

He opened fire on deputies near Bevilles Corner, Fla., and shot himself in the jaw before the officers killed him, said Michael Mordaga, chief of detectives for the Bergen County Prosecutor's Office, who is in Florida assisting with the case.

Marti told a relative last week that police would never take him alive, Mordaga said.

``It appears at this point that he meant what he said,'' Mordaga said.

Marti, of Passaic, had eluded police since Thursday night, when prosecutors say he fatally shot Fair Lawn Officer Mary Ann Collura, 43, and wounded Clifton Officer Steven Farrell, 30, who is hospitalized in good condition.

Police said Marti led Farrell on a high-speed chase after the officer tried to pull him over for speeding. Collura answered Farrell's call for backup.

Police say after Marti stopped the car he pulled out a gun and shot the officers, then fled.

Marti first went to Binghamton, N.Y., with a cousin, then slipped away and drove south after more than 100 officers converged there, Mordaga said.

Marti got as far as Maryland before authorities realized he was gone, and he passed through Richmond, Va.; Atlanta; and Jacksonville, Fla.

Florida officers already were looking for Marti early Sunday when a Hernando County sheriff's deputy walked by the suspect's parked car, Mordaga said. Marti fired at the deputy, missed and drove off.

Marti was pursued into Sumter County by six deputies from both counties, who used road spikes to flatten his tires. The car stopped on Route 4 in an area surrounded by fields and small homes.

``They were in a running gun battle going down the road when they passed me,'' Sumter County Sheriff Bill Farmer said.

Marti came out of his car spraying bullets wildly and started to run toward a pickup truck occupied by two civilians. Moments later, he shot himself in the jaw, and officers killed him with two shots to his chest.

On Sunday evening, police were still searching for the cousin who allegedly accompanied Marti to New York and then to Florida. Manuel Brignoni, 26, will be charged with hindering apprehension and weapons violations, Bergen County Prosecutor John L. Molinelli said.