AP NEWS

Suspect who turned self in for gay strip shooting: ‘I didn’t do this’

October 10, 2018

A suspect sought in a weekend drive-by shooting that injured three people on San Antonio’s gay strip surrendered to police Tuesday but claimed a relative was to blame.

Jose Rincon Hernandez, 44, is charged with at least one count of aggravated assault, San Antonio police said.

SAPD Chief William McManus said investigators are confident that Hernandez is the suspected shooter who struck three people outside the Pegasus bar at 1402 North Main.

See video of the suspect on mySA.com’s YouTube channel.

“I didn’t do this. They have the wrong person,” Hernandez said Tuesday afternoon as he was being placed inside a police vehicle bound for the Bexar County Central Magistrate. “My brother-in-law did it.”

RELATED: Police: Man who shot 3 on San Antonio’s gay strip had been kicked out of bar

San Antonio Police Chief William McManus said Hernandez turned himself in at 2 p.m. at Public Safety Headquarters, 315 S. Santa Rosa.

“We were able to identify him through a number of interviews with witnesses,” McManus said.

One of those witnesses recovered the weapon that was used in the shooting, the chief said.

The three people shot, two men and a woman in their 20s, suffered non-life threatening injuries, investigators said. They were taken to Brooke Army Medical Center for treatment, police said.

Investigators said Hernandez was kicked out of the Pegasus night club at about 12:30 a.m. but returned shortly thereafter and opened fire on the victims outside of a taco stand.

Although he turned himself in, Hernandez continued proclaiming his innocence. McManus did not comment on Hernandez’s claim of innocence.

“They’re just making it look like I did it when I didn’t do it,” Hernandez said.

jbeltran@express-news.net | Twitter: @JBfromSA

AP RADIO
Update hourly