Marcos Tells World Election Is None Of Its Business
MANILA, Philippines (AP) _ President Ferdinand E. Marcos on Friday told foreign leaders who say he won re-election by fraud that what happens in the Philippines is none of their business, and called his opposition sore losers.
Leftist groups pledged support for boycotts, strikes and demonstrations planned next week by Corazon Aquino, who claims she won the Feb. 7 election. Marcos was declared the winner by the National Assembly, in which he controls two-thirds of the seats.
Marcos said in a statement: ″Sadly, there are those in foreign lands who for their own reasons have willingly picked up the theme, impugned the integrity of our recent presidential election and have even called for foreign intervention in our national affairs.
″We deplore these actions as the acts of ungracious electoral losers and of modern-day imperialists who evidently think that a nation like the Philippines would willingly submit to their dictates and wishes.″
The Japanese news agency Kyodo quoted Marcos as saying he would replace about half the members of his Cabinet.
A national police captain resigned Friday in upport of Mrs. Aquino, calling the Marcos government ″illegitimate, repressive, unjust and corrupt.″
Lt. Gen. Fidel V. Ramos, designated as the new armed forces commander, asked Marcos to stop the last-minute appointments being made by Gen. Fabian C. Ver, whom he is to succeed March 1.
Ver is a close ally of the president, who has been in power 20 years, and was one of 24 soldiers aquitted last year in the August 1983 assassination of Benigno Aquino, Mrs. Aquino’s husband. The United States had been urging Marcos to dismiss him.
The inauguration is scheduled for Tuesday, but who will be there remains a question.
Belgium and Canada plan not to send anyone, and the Belgians said they doubted that other nations of the European Community would send representatives of ambassadorial rank. Britain has not yet been invited, but officials said privately it probably would decline. The United States has not indicated its intentions for the inauguration.
The U.S. Senate and European Parliament have passed resolutions accusing Marcos of election fraud, and criticism has come from the Reagan administration and other governments.
In Washington, an estimated 450 people staged an anti-Marcos demonstration in front of the White House, and Sen. David Durenberger, R-Minn., told reporters he has urged President Reagan to call on Marcos to resign.
Durenberger, chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, said Reagan is ″a longtime friend″ of Marcos and ″is the one person who may be able to persuade Marcos that it is time to step aside.
″By all independent estimates, Mr. Marcos clearly lost the election,″ the senator said.
Philip Habib, Reagan’s special envoy, met with Mrs. Aquino on Friday for the second time. Her spokesman said she told him, when asked where her protests might lead, ″Wait and see.″
The leftist group Bayan (Country), which has held successful strikes in several larger Philippine cities, announced Friday that it was backing Mrs. Aquino’s call for a nationwide shutdown next Wednesday. Bayan boycotted the election.
″We recognize her as the president of the Philippines, and it is our duty to follow her,″ said former Sen. Lorenzo Tanada, who took a leave as head of Bayan to support Mrs. Aquino’s campaign.
Bayan officials said they would picket government offices, strike transport and hold rallies outside the two strategic U.S. military installations, Clark Air Base and Subic Bay Naval Base.
Neither the presidential palace nor police officials Friday would indicate what kind of inauguration Marcos plans. He has held outdoor extravaganzas in the past, with high-level foreign guests present on the stage.
At a news conference held by Mrs. Aquino’s party, police Capt. Juan Vicente O. Resurreccion read a resignation letter he had written to Marcos.
″I would rather die fighting an illegitimate, repressive, unjust and corrupt government than die fighting for it,″ he said. ″This is to inform you, sir, that you failed to receive the mandate of the Filipino people in the last election. Every Filipino knows that except you.″
Opposition National Assembly members issued a report saying that, if faulty certificates of voting were set aside, Mrs. Aquino would win the election by 1 million votes.
The government election commission had counted only 75 percent of the vote by Friday, showing Marcos ahead by about 800,000. There was no explanation of how the assembly was able to count 99 percent a week ago.
An independent count by a poll-watchers’ group had Mrs. Aquino ahead by 690,000 on the basis of 70 percent.