AP NEWS
Click to copy
Click to copy

New Zealand vows pragmatic approach to policing banned Christchurch video amid arrests

Andrew Blake The Washington TimesJune 5, 2019

New Zealand Police warned Thursday that social media companies will face consequences for failing to keep their platforms free of footage recorded during last week’s mass shootings at two mosques in Christchurch.

A spokesperson for the country’s national police force told The Washington Times that authorities plan to take a “pragmatic approach” with respect to censoring video of the massacre, six days since dozens of Muslims were slaughtered during a rampage streamed live on Facebook by the suspected killer, a 28-year-old Australian man arrested for murder.

“We will work with companies and platforms in removing objectionable material,” said the spokesperson. “However, where companies or platforms knowingly or recklessly turn a blind eye to this material, they may be subject to an investigation.”

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.