AP NEWS
Click to copy
Click to copy

Providence begins a new fiscal year without a budget

July 2, 2019

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — The city of Providence has begun a new fiscal year without a budget and the mayor says he will veto any plan that crosses his desk.

WPRI-TV reports Democratic Mayor Jorge Elorza says his talks with the City Council committee last week have been over “petty, personal scores,” rather than negotiations for a fiscal budget.

The committee’s budget cuts the mayor’s proposal by about $3 million.

The Providence Journal reports one point of contention is the City Council’s proposal for a $40,000 decrease to Public Safety Commissioner Steve Paré’s salary.

Elorza says this cut was made because members of the council have personal problems with the commissioner.

The full City Council is scheduled to vote on the $770 million plan Wednesday. It passed out of the Council’s Finance Committee Saturday.

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.