Man dies after Durham house fire
A Durham house fire killed one person Saturday, authorities said.
Emergency officials responded to the fire, at 1205 W. Horseshoe Road, at 1:40 a.m.
Three people were in the house when the fire broke out, and one was able to escape.
Fire officials rescued a 73-year-old man and a 39-year-old woman.
The man, William Davis, died at a hospital.
The woman, Keisha Terry, was taken to a burn center.
A neighbor, who did not want to be identified, said she heard someone yelling.
“He came through the front door hollering, ‘Help’,” she said. “And I stepped out of the house and the whole house, it just looked like the front of the house was engulfed in flames.”
Neighbors said they had seen the family before in passing and couldn’t believe how quickly the fire destroyed the home.
“Yeah, it’s just shock. I mean, I don’t even know what happen. It almost looks like an explosive but I can’t tell just by looking at it,” one neighbor said.
The man who escaped was treated for smoke inhalation at a hospital and was released.
The fire was extinguished in 10 minutes.