Lohin’s Late Lightning Lifts UML

November 10, 2018

UMass Lowell's Kenny Hausinger (7) skates away from New Hampshire's Benton Maass during Friday night's game in Lowell. SUN/Julia Malakie Sun staff photos can be ordered by visiting our SmugMug site.

LOWELL -- They were dreadful on the power play, finishing 0-for-7.

Lowell 2, UNH 2

But UMass Lowell was clutch with the man advantage after pulling goalie Tyler Wall for an extra skater, as two late Ryan Lohin goals in regulation allowed the River Hawks to tie New Hampshire, 2-2, before 5,414 fans Friday night at the Tsongas Center.

“Sometimes you can’t explain the way the game evolves,” UML head coach Norm Bazin said. “We need to get better on the power play, there’s no question. It’s not enough. I thought it was a good test of resolve. We’ll take the point.”

UML (4-4-1, 1-2-1) outshot the Wildcats 34-11, but needed Lohin’s late heroics to salvage a Hockey East point.

Lohin got UML on the board with 2:13 left when he knocked home of the rebound of a Ryan Dmowski shot past Mike Robinson. He tied it just 37 seconds later with Wall again on the bench when he ripped a shot from the bottom of the right faceoff circle past Robinson.

“It was a nice pass by Mattias (Goransson). I just tried to get it on net,” Lohin said of his tying goal.

Lohin returned to the ice after missing the previous four games due to injury.

“That’s a big piece right there for us,” Bazin said of one of his two captains.

Little went right in the first period for the River Hawks. Maybe because they showed little emotion and little spark.

Both teams only had five shots in the opening frame, but New Hampshire grabbed a 2-0 lead.

Ara Nazarian made it 1-0 at 11:39. Allowed to get the puck in a prime scoring area, Nazarian sent a 20-foot shot through a screen and past Wall.

With 1:14 left, Lohin was injured when he was slammed into the boards by UNH defenseman Anthony Wyse. Wyse was given a five-minute hitting from behind penalty and ejected from the game. UML freshman Sam Knoblauch received a minor penalty, setting up 4-for-4 play for the rest of the period.

UNH made the most of the extra open ice when Marcus Vela uncorked a shot past UML defenseman Seth Barton and behind Wall with 33 seconds left in the first.

UMass Lowell carried play in the second period, outshooting the Wildcats by a huge 15-1 margin, but the 6-foot-4 Robinson stood tall, in particular on a two-on-one break when Charlie Levesque passed cross ice to Knoblauch, who was robbed by a sliding Robinson with 14:37 left in the second.

The River Hawks ended the period 0-for-5 on the power play, a major reason they trailed by two goals.

UML continued its dominance in the third period with a 14-3 shots advantage, but terrific play by Robinson had the Wildcats (1-4-2, 1-1-1) on the verge of a road victory when UML rallied.

New Hampshire settled down in the overtime session, putting the only two shots on goal in the extra five minutes.

“They had a lot of momentum because we were killing penalties all night,” said first-year UNH head coach Mike Souza of the River Hawks. “Norm’s a great coach for a reason. His teams are not going to give up.”

Souza said his players after the game felt like they had lost a playoff game.

Follow Barry Scanlon on Twitter@BarryScanlonSun

Update hourly