Canada police expect ‘significant development’ on deaths
TORONTO (AP) — Toronto police said Monday they expect a “significant development” in the case of a former landscaper charged with killing eight men with ties to Toronto’s gay village.
Police said in a statement that they expect the unspecified development when Bruce McArthur is due in court on Tuesday.
Last year, police found the remains of seven of the men in large planters at a property where McArthur had worked. The remains of the eighth alleged victim were found in a ravine behind the same property in midtown Toronto.
McArthur, 67, hasn’t entered a plea since being arrested last year and he waived his right to a preliminary hearing, raising the possibility of a plea deal.
McArthur moved to the Toronto area around 2000 and previously lived in a suburb where he was married, raised two children and worked as a traveling salesman of underwear and socks.
His landscaping business was small, but he did periodically hire workers, including a 40-year-old man who disappeared in 2010. He also worked as a mall Santa.
Police set up a special task force to look into the disappearances of men in the “Gay Village” area of Toronto shortly some went missing. McArthur was arrested six months later