AP NEWS

Shooter has change of heart on eve of trial

March 26, 2019

BRIDGEPORT — Isiah “Coco” Thomas appeared confident right up until his victim arrived in Superior Court.

Thomas, 29, had asked for a trial confident that the man he allegedly shot five times last year, 46-year-old Shawn Thompson, wouldn’t show up in court to testify against him because Thompson had four outstanding arrest warrants.

But on the first day of trial Thompson, saying he wanted to turn his life around, appeared at the Fairfield County Courthouse.

With a change of heart, Thomas agreed to plead guilty to the charge of first-degree assault, said Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Joseph Harry.

“Our case against him (Thomas) became much better,” the prosecutor said on Monday.

Thomas faces eight years in prison when he is sentenced May 10.

On May 9, 2018, Thompson was rushed to Bridgeport Hospital suffering from five gunshot wounds.

Questioned by police in the hospital, they said he told them, “Coco shot me, it was Coco.”

Thompson told police detectives he had stopped at a store on Orchard Street to buy some looseys (cigarettes) when Thomas jumped into the passenger seat of his car.

He ordered Thompson to drive to Brooks Street and then tried to rob Thompson at gunpoint, police said. They said Thompson managed to get out of the car and run but not before Thomas fired numerous shots at him.

Since the shooting, four warrants were issued for Thompson charging him with third-degree larceny, second-degree forgery, failure to appear in court, violation of probation and violation of a protective order for unrelated crimes.

Thompson was arrested on the warrants.