AP NEWS

Fires Cause Minor Damage To Two Abingtons Homes

January 21, 2019

BENTON TWP. — Two minor fires forced local firefighters into the bitter cold today.

No one was hurt in either.

The more recent fire was reported about 11:30 a.m. at the home of Mark and Hazel Darling at 16522 state Route 407 in Benton Twp., Fleetville Volunteer Fire Company Chief Tony Saxton said. The fire started in a chimney and extended somewhat to the walls around it, the chief said. Firefighters needed less than 100 gallons of water to extinguish the fire, but it caused smoke damage and left the house temporarily uninhabitable. The Darlings will stay with family who live in a home across the road from them, Saxton said.

About 9:50 a.m., a fire at 2124 College Road in LaPlume Twp. was started accidentally by a resident trying to defrost frozen pipes, Factoryville Fire Company Assistant Chief Brian Gow said. He was unsure what the homeowner used to defrost the pipes. He did not have the resident’s name available, but said the damage did not make the home uninhabitable.

— BORYS KRAWCZENIUK

AP RADIO
Update hourly