Man suspected in Phoenix slaying of 3 men is hospitalized
PHOENIX (AP) — A man suspected in the slaying of three other men was in critical condition late Wednesday afternoon after a confrontation with officers in Phoenix, police said.
The suspect, whose identity hasn’t been released, fell to the ground after an officer opened fire, shooting one round, though it wasn’t immediately clear whether he had been wounded by police gunfire or he had turned a weapon on himself, said Police Sgt. Alan Pfohl. No officers were injured.
“We’re not sure if police shot him with a bullet or not,” Pfohl said.
Pfohl said police initially had been called to the suspect’s home in response to a domestic violence dispute reported by his wife, who said he had threatened her with a gun. She was able to flee to a neighbor’s house with her child.
Then, the suspect fatally shot three men in an area on the same block, Pfohl said. The suspect’s connection to the three victims was not immediately known.
“The only call that we received was the initial domestic violence call from the suspect’s wife,” Pfohl said. “How these other three became involved — we don’t have those answers just yet.”
After officers arrived on the scene, they encountered the suspect who was in a vehicle, according to Pfohl.
The suspect was lying on the ground for about 40 minutes after he was shot, and then apparently got up for a moment before falling to the ground again, Pfohl said.
He expected investigators would remain on the scene through early Thursday morning.
The victims’ names and ages have not been released.