Day in History: Hollywood performer Danny Kaye visits Mayo Clinic
1993 – 25 years ago
• Onetime Mayo High star Scott Wissink was named all-conference in the MIAC while playing for Carleton. The senior linebacker led the team in tackles and was the MIAC defensive player of the week for getting 15 stops against Macalester.
• Ex-Mayo volleyball standout Deborah Heyne was named to the Missouri Valley All-Conference first team for Southern Illinois. She also was named to the league’s academic team with a 3.48 GPA, majoring in psychology.
1968 – 50 years ago
• Danny Kaye, Hollywood performer-comedian, completed his regular physical examination at Mayo Clinic this week. Kaye has been a regular visitor to Rochester and the clinic.
• The Rochester Parks and Recreation Department has taken over servicing the city police cars. This will provide a significant cost savings to the city. Major repairs will continue to go to private garages.
• Mayo Foundation has come out in favor of adding an undergraduate medical school to its operation. Funds unofficially estimated at $30 million to $50 million will need to be raised.
1943 – 75 years ago
• Rochester residents got an opportunity to provide their blood to the war effort as the mobile unit of the American Red Cross was in Rochester for four days. More than 80,000 persons must contribute blood to the Red Cross each week to meet the needs by the Army and Navy.
• Preparation of plans, specifications and estimates of costs for several proposed postwar projects has been requested by the city council. Projects include road work, paving of streets and new bridges in the area.
1918 – 100 years ago
• At Mazeppa High School gymnasium, a program entitled the “Gay Nineties Review” was directed by Edward Sandberg, music teacher. One of the costumes worn by student Dorothy Cliff was worn by her maternal grandmother in 1874 at her wedding.
• Press dispatches show that 254,000 people have died of influenza in the United States, a number far and away greater than the death list of the American army in the war.