Related topics

Two More Policemen Shot In New York City

November 24, 1986

NEW YORK (AP) _ Two rookie Port Authority police officers were shot early today when they interrupted a holdup at a Queens diner and exchaged gunfire with a pair of robbers, wounding at least one, authorities said.

The officers were the seventh and eighth policemen shot in the line of duty in New York City since Wednesday, when six officers were shot in a Bronx apartment while trying to arrest Larry Davis, 20, on a murder charge.

Three of those officers remained hospitalized today, and a man believed to be Davis, who remains the object of a nationwide search, called a television station to say he won’t be taken alive because police will kill him on sight.

The diner shooting erupted about 4:30 a.m., when Port Authority police rookies William Luongo, 33, and William Moran walked in after dropping off a prisoner at the nearby Forest Hills central booking station.

Wilfred Barriere was outside in the car when Luongo and Moran entered the diner and were fired on. Barriere said he fired at the fleeing suspects, wounding one.

″Everything happened within a couple of split seconds,″ said Barriere, a 16-year officer on the police force which guards Kennedy Airport and other commercial transportation facilities.

The wounded officers were taken to Jamaica Hospital, where Moran was in stable condition after surgery for wounds in his right side and leg and Luongo was under observation for a superficial wound of the upper left back.

A man wounded in the gunfight was listed in critical condition at Elmhurst hospital. The other suspect, also injured, escaped through a back door and got away by stealing a car and hijacking a bread truck, police said.

The wounded suspect stole a car from a house two blocks away, and drove it several blocks to an expressway, where he hijacked the truck, police said.

The truck’s driver, Sam Berk, said the man was ″bleeding down the right side,″ said to him: ″I just killed two cops. You’re taking me to the Bronx or I’ll kill you, too.″ He was forced to drive away from the area at gunpoint, he said.

Davis, an aspiring rap musician, also said in his call Friday to WABC-TV that he feared correction officers would beat him if he surrendered and went to jail.

″They’re all going to want their piece of the action because I shot six cops,″ Davis said in a transcript released Sunday.

Sgt. Ed Burns, a police spokesman, said Sunday that investigators believed the caller was Davis. However, Davis’ 62-year-old mother, Mary Davis, denied the caller was her son.

Mrs. Davis, speaking from a Bronx hospital bed where she’s recuperating from an apparent heart attack, also called on her son to give himself up to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

Update hourly