Day in History: Rochester Sports Hall of Fame inducts athletes
1994 – 25 years ago
• The 1994 inductees to the Rochester Sports Hall of Fame include Eric Strobel, Joe Mayer, Steve Jackman and the late Dr. Joe Janes. Herb Brooks, the former University of Minnesota hockey coach, will be the guest speaker at the dinner on April 2 at the Kahler Hotel.
1969 – 50 years ago
• A new RCA portable color television with stand is only $288 at Richard’s TV at the Miracle Mile center.
• The word about the new film “2001: A Space Odyssey,” which is now showing at the Cinema 21, is that it is loaded with special effects, is sometimes dull but also adventuresome.
1944 – 75 years ago
• Lt. Harmon Matthess of Goodhue is currently the navigator on the Liberator bomber “Hellcat.” An Associated Press dispatch recently said the bomber went on four missions in four days.
1919 – 100 years ago
• Col. S. Marshall will be appearing at the Salvation Army Revival meetings in Rochester. The Methodist choir and Jack Crewe’s orchestra will also be performing at the Salvation Hall.