Dixon school shooter charged with battery in jailhouse brawl

September 29, 2018

DIXON – Dixon High School shooter Matthew A. Milby Jr. heard new felony charges Friday that were levied against him after a jailhouse brawl with two other inmates, and saw one of his three attempted murder charges dropped.

According to Lee County Court records, on Aug. 31, Milby climbed on the back of a Lee County Jail inmate and attempted to strangle him, and struck another inmate.

He is set to plead Oct. 11 to two counts of aggravated battery and one of misdemeanor battery. The felony is punishable by 2 to 5 years in prison on each count.

The other two inmates were not charged.

The lanky 19-year-old is in jail on $2 million bond in the May 16 school shooting.

He pleaded not guilty July 27 to three counts of attempted murder – one for firing at the school resource officer and two for firing at a teacher – and four counts involving aggravated discharge of a firearm.

Lee County State’s Attorney Matt Klahn filed amended information in that case Friday that dropped one of the charges involving gym teacher Andrew McKay.

The first attempted murder charge involves shots fired at school resource officer Mark Dallas, and carries 20 to 80 years in prison, with a potential 20-year enhancement. The other, involving shots fired at McKay, carries 6 to 30 years in prison, plus 20 years.

The first two counts of aggravated discharge of a firearm carry 10 to 45 years; the other two 6 to 30 years.

All require Milby serve at least 85 percent. He will plead to the six charges on Oct. 11 as well.

Investigators say the DHS senior took a 9mm semi-automatic rifle to graduation practice in the Lancaster Gym that Wednesday morning, fired at McKay, who he encountered in a hallway, and took off running seconds later when confronted and pursued by Dallas.

Milby fired at Dallas outside the gym; the Dixon police officer returned fire, hitting Milby in the upper shoulder and hip. Milby was arrested near his car in Page Park.

No one else was injured.

The Illinois State Police is the lead investigating agency in the shooting.

Update hourly