AP NEWS

Embers from pit start fire at North Carolina barbecue joint

April 13, 2019

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) — Authorities say a well-loved local North Carolina barbecue restaurant sustained fire damage because of a blaze that started with embers from its own pit.

The Winston-Salem Journal reports that Mr. Barbecue suffered hundreds of thousands in damage. Fire officials say the fire started Wednesday during dinner from embers leaving the barbecue pit. No one was injured.

Battalion Chief Joe Ramsey of the Winston-Salem Fire Department said the majority of the damage was in the rear of the building and extended into the kitchen. He said the restaurant’s counter had smoke damage, and chairs had smoke and water damage.

Ramsey estimated the damage at $215,000. He said the restaurant is insured.

But Mike Macko of restoration company DMR Services said that the damage could be as much as $500,000.