AP NEWS
Click to copy
Click to copy

New Mexico ride-share driver facing voluntary manslaughter

August 26, 2019

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A New Mexico judge has ruled the case against a ride-share driver accused of fatally shooting a passenger earlier this year will move forward on a single count of voluntary manslaughter.

According to the Albuquerque Journal, prosecutors asked Judge Neil Candelaria to find probable cause to support a second-degree murder prosecution against driver Clayton Benedict.

But the Candelaria says the evidence only supported a voluntary manslaughter charge.

Albuquerque police have said the shooting happened March 17 after Benedict picked up 27-year-old Porter and a friend and an altercation broke out along Interstate 25.

Benedict’s attorney argued Monday that his client acted in self-defense.

The Journal says Benedict could face up to seven years in prison if convicted of voluntary manslaughter.

___

Information from: Albuquerque Journal, http://www.abqjournal.com

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.