AP NEWS

WSP Trooper spots house on fire, evacuates sleeping residents

March 2, 2019

A Washington State Patrol trooper drove by a house spewing smoke Friday and ran inside to awake and evacuate the residents.

No one was hurt in the fire that began at about 3 p.m. at 712 S. Maple St., but five families were displaced, said Spokane Fire Chief Brian Schaeffer.

The building that caught fire is a house converted into apartments.

In one apartment lives Will Noble, who at about 1:30 p.m. noticed a fuse had blown in his apartment because his outlets stopped working, he said. He called his dad, who told him to turn off the fuses, so he did, and Noble then took a nap because he had to work at 4 p.m.

He awoke to smoke and WSP Trooper Morgan Mehaffey banging on his door.

Noble said his bathroom and closet, which is connected to the attic, were engulfed in flames while he was leaving the building. He said he suspects the fusebox started the fire.

Mehaffey had been driving by and noticed the smoke, said Schaeffer. Mehaffey called in the fire, and then entered the house and woke up Noble and one other person, the only people in the house.

WSP Spokesman Jeff Sevigney said Mehaffey declined to be interviewed.

“He’s appreciative of the sentiment from everybody, but he was just doing his job,” Sevigney said.

Firefighters arrived and quickly isolated the fire to the attic.

The American Red Cross was on scene to assist residents who were displaced.

“I’m just glad everybody got out alive and safe,” said Noble. “It was scary.”