Sound Off Nina Nyrop What can you do to enhance your home’s curb appeal?
If you are thinking of selling your home, updating and maintaining your home regularly shows you take pride in owning it, which potential buyers will recognize and appreciate. That begins with the exterior, as the first impression your home will make is with its “curb appeal”. Here is a list of six money and time-saving tips to enhance that all important first impression:
1. A well maintained landscape and lawn adds to a home’s appeal. Mow the lawn regularly, mulch and weed the gardens. In addition, add seed where needed and color to your landscape with planters and flowers.
2. Wash the exterior. A pressure washer can remove buildup to give it a fresh look and add additional value. Also wash the windows inside and out and clean out the gutters.
3. Paint is a sure-fire way to increase curb appeal. Update your home with a coat or two both inside and out. Also paint the doors, shutters, as that will always complement your home.
4. Repair your roof. If your roof is in good shape, hire a professional to remove moss and dirt that have built up. If your roof is due for replacement, it may be best to have that taken care of before you list it.
5. Create privacy. A fence may not only increase privacy, it may add value as long as it fits the style of the homes in your neighborhood.
6. Stay on top of maintenance in general. Performing a regular maintenance not only helps prevent costly damage but it can also increase the value of your home. Studies show that deferred maintenance may decrease a home’s value as much as 10%. Small imperfections may stand out to potential buyers and leave a negative impression.
Your Realtor may help you decide which projects would net the best value and may also be able to refer you to a reputable tradesman in your area.
Keller Williams Realty,