Lindros Won’t Consider Returning
TORONTO (AP) _ Eric Lindros, speaking to reporters for the first time since rejecting a qualifying offer from the Philadelphia Flyers, said he won’t consider returning to the team.
``I think we’ve made our side pretty clear with what we’ve done in the summer and what’s gone on in the past,″ Lindros told a media gathering Tuesday after a promotional skate.
Neither Lindros nor his lawyer, Gordon Kirke, have responded to general manager Bob Clarke’s request for a meeting. Lindros has spent his entire eight-year NHL career with the Flyers.
Clarke, in Toronto for a meeting of NHL general managers, said Monday that he’s not giving up hope of getting the former captain back.
``That might be his wish, but if he wants to play in the NHL again we’re going to have something to do with that,″ Clarke said.
Lindros hasn’t played since last spring, when he sustained his sixth career concussion during Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals against New Jersey. He requires another clearance from neurologist Dr. James Kelly before he can resume playing.
``I’ve been feeling better,″ Lindros said. ``I’ll see Dr. Kelly in the next couple weeks. From there, we’ll wait to see what develops off the ice. I’ll make sure I’m ready to go.″
Lindros has the right to sign with another team, but the Flyers would have matching rights. He rejected Philadelphia’s $8.5 million qualifying offer last July. A clause in the deal that would allow the team to send Lindros to the minors at a small salary infuriated him.
Clarke asked Kirke last week for a meeting this week in Lindros’ hometown.
``I never heard back from Gord at all,″ Clarke said Monday. ``Zero. Gord has told a couple of guys that Eric is feeling good and basically symptom free.″
Clarke said that he hasn’t been contacted by any teams seeking to trade for the rights to Lindros, and insists that he won’t give the center away.