Suge Knight taken to hospital after court appearance
COMPTON, California (AP) — Former rap music mogul Suge Knight pleaded not guilty Tuesday to murder and attempted murder charges before complaining of chest pain and being rushed to a hospital.
No further information about his condition was immediately available, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Officer John Gardner said.
Knight wore orange jail attire at the morning court appearance where he entered not guilty pleas to four felonies, including hit-and-run charges, filed after the Death Row Records founder struck two men with his pickup truck last week.
He is due back in court on Feb. 9 when a judge will consider whether to set bail. The 49-year-old Knight could face life in prison if convicted.
Knight is accused of intentionally running down two men, including a friend, in Compton on Thursday. Knight’s attorneys have said he hit the men by accident as Knight fled a vicious attack.
Knight is charged with killing Terry Carter, 55, and attempting to kill Cle “Bone” Sloan, 51, in a burger stand parking lot after an argument occurred at a separate location where the movie “Straight Outta Compton,” about the rise of the rap group N.W.A., was being filmed.
Knight’s attorney, David Kenner, said his client is remorseful about Carter’s death but that does not mean he’s guilty of the crimes.
Michael R. Shapiro, an attorney who represents Sloan, said his client has a mangled left foot and is recovering from his injuries under heavy security.
AP writer Tami Abdollah in Los Angeles contributed to this story.
Anthony McCartney can be reached at http://twitter.com/mccartneyAP