AP NEWS
Related topics

Fifty Treated Following Accident At K-Mart Store

April 3, 1986

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (AP) _ A bottle of insecticide fell off a shelf at a K mart store, spreading fumes that sent more than 50 people to hospitals Wednesday.

Store manager Joe Livers said that after the pint bottle of Isotox insect killer broke, several people fainted and others reported burning sensations and stinging eyes.

Paramedics called to the scene treated some people, but others were taken to St. Mary’s Medical Center and Deaconess and Welborn Baptist hospitals.

Livers ordered the store evacuated and called the city’s health department. He said he also called the manufacturer of the insecticide for directions on how to safely clean it up.

″The manufacturer told us to use a solution of water and Clorox,″ he said.

The store was reopened about three hours later, Livers said.

AP RADIO
Update hourly