CHICAGO (AP) _ Top senior high school basketball players declared ineligible for their freshman years because they played in a revenue-producing all-star game can appeal that ruling, according to an NCAA official.

Those who played in last week's game include Nelison Anderson, committed to attending the University of Illinois this fall and considered by many to be the best basketball player in the state last season.

While no admission was charged to the Public League-Catholic League all- star game at Illinois Tech, a $2 program and concessions were sold, the NCAA said Wednesday.

''After three days of investigation, the NCAA has determined the game was a revenue-producing game and, as a result, has been classified as a non- certified game,'' NCAA compliance official Carl Benson said.

''As a result, all participants will be denied their first year oif college competition. However, there is an appeal process here the individual colleges will have the opportunities to present mitigating circumstances to the NCAA eligibility committee in hopes of restoring elgibility,'' he said.

Besides Anderson, the players include Ervin Small, also committed to attending Illinois; Chris Henderson (DePaul); Randy Doss (Ohio State); Ken Redfield (Michigan State); Kenny Miller (Loyola of Illinois); Wade Jenkins (Tulsa); Terrell Jackson (Cincinnati); Adrian Moore (Iowa State); and Maurice Nelson (Illinois-Chicago).

Jimmy Collins, an assistant coach at Illinois, said, ''Personally I think the NCAA could be more understanding.''

''It could look at the circumstances and see the kids weren't aware of any illegal things that were going on. An action of this sort, if it holds up, is awfully harsh,'' Collins added.