Related topics

Police Chief Won’t Return Weapons to Man Charged with Shooting Ex-Wife

June 21, 1995

PAWTUCKET, R.I. (AP) _ Faced with a contempt charge, Police Chief Richard DeLyon has promised to relinquish a cache of weapons seized from a man accused of shooting his ex-wife in the face during a fight over a bologna sandwich.

But DeLyon won’t give the six high-powered pellet rifles, seven pellet pistols and a foot-long knife back to Wayne Teixeira, who he says has a long history of violence. Instead, he plans to give the weapons to the state attorney general’s office.

``This is the umpteenth time we’ve arrested him and one of these days he’s going to kill somebody,″ DeLyon said Tuesday. ``Now I’ve got to give him back his guns and put him back in the neighborhood armed? Something isn’t right here.″

The contempt charge still stands. DeLyon was due in Superior Court on Friday for a hearing.

The weapons were seized after Teixeira, 44, was charged with attempted murder. His ex-wife, Cynthia Teixeira, was shot with a .22-caliber pistol in November.

At the time, she had a restraining order against Teixeira for allegedly hitting her 8-year-old son from a previous marriage and telling the boy he couldn’t wait for him to turn 18 so he could ``blow his brains out.″

Prosecutors dropped the attempted murder charge last week after Ms. Teixeira changed her story and said the shooting was an accident.

``This is a classic case of the victim changing her story after the incident because she’s afraid,″ DeLyon said. ``We’ve got her statements against him, we’ve got witnesses, we’ve got evidence.

``All I’m saying is let’s take it to court and see what a jury thinks,″ he said. ``This guy’s a loon and if she gets shot, people are going to be hounding me about what happened.″

Last week, a public defender convinced Superior Court Judge Henry Gemma Jr. order Teixeira’s guns returned to him . On Friday, Teixeira walked into the police station and handed DeLyon the order.

``I handed it back to him and said, ``Have a nice day,‴ the police chief said.

Teixeira’s lawyer did not return a message left at his office.

At 18, Teixeira was arrested on a charge of conspiracy to steal from a car. Since then he has been arrested on charges of assault with a dangerous weapon, violating restraining orders and discharging firearms. Each time, the charge either was dropped or Teixeira pleaded no contest and received probation, DeLyon said.

In 1993, police said he kidnapped his 5-year-old daughter from a baby sitter and held police at bay for three hours before letting the girl go. The case was dismissed because Ms. Teixeira did not want to proceed, according to court documents.

Update hourly