HOUSTON (AP) _ The mobile home of a man who appeared on ''60 Minutes'' to expose odometer tampering by used car dealers was apparently firebombed while he was away, authorities said.

The explosion and fire early Wednesday destroyed the home of Charles Vance, a construction company owner and former used car dealer who went to CBS along with a business partner with allegations of fraud by Houston wholesalers.

''It's retaliation for the odometer segment,'' Vance said. ''I would have done the same thing again. I believe it was something that needed to be done.''

Fire Department investigators said someone apparently firebombed the trailer.

Vance told authorities he had been getting death threats even before the story aired Dec. 9. He said last week he received a call saying he would be dead by Wednesday. Shots were fired at the trailer Oct. 31, said ''60 Minutes'' spokesman Roy Brunett.

Vance said he has been moving his family from the home frequently to make it appear people were living there. He said the family stayed there Monday night but stayed elsewhere Tuesday.

''We're happy that he's safe and we're thankful that no one was hurt,'' Brunett said.