Home Heating Fuel Prices Likely To Hold Steady This Year
Conquer the cold
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency offers tips for keeping homes warmer for less.
• Search for and seal cracks points of air infiltration, such as crawl spaces, the chimney flue and where the dryer vent leaves the home.
• Close shutters, blinds and curtains at night.
• Insulate the hot water heater and hot water pipes; turn the thermostat to 120 degrees.
• Schedule annual furnace or boiler maintenance to ensure everything is running efficiently.
• Use the U.S. Department of Energy’s guidelines to conduct your own home energy audit, or hire a pro, to see where your home can be improved.
• Visit www.energystar.gov for more information.