Osvaldo looking to prove himself again at Inter
MILAN (AP) — New Inter Milan striker Pablo Osvaldo is looking to prove himself again after a difficult season, which culminated in the Italy international missing out on the World Cup.
Osvaldo was presented at Inter on Thursday, a day after signing on loan from Southampton in a deal which saw Algeria midfielder Saphir Taider move the other way.
“It’s an honor to be at a club like Inter,” Osvaldo said. “I’m very happy and I can’t wait for the season to start. When a club like Inter calls, I don’t think any player has any doubt whatsoever.
“Last year was a particular one. I have a lot of desire to return to my level and prove myself in this shirt.”
Osvaldo joined Juventus on loan in January after a troubled spell in England, where he was suspended by Southampton following a training ground clash with teammate Jose Fonte, which left the defender with a broken nose.
Most of his 11 appearances for Juventus were as a substitute and he scored just one goal as his side stormed to the Serie A title. The Italy forward scored three goals for Southampton after joining from Roma in August for a club-record 15.1 million euros (then $20 million).
Osvaldo netted 16 goals in 25 league matches for Roma the previous campaign.
“I never look over my shoulder, at the past, I look to the future,” Osvaldo said. “It was hard to adapt to English football at the beginning and then it’s always hard to arrive at a team in the middle of the season. Plus I didn’t play much as I had players like Fernando Llorente and Carlos Tevez in front of me.
“But I had a great time at Juve. I had the opportunity to win the Italian title, which had never happened to me before.”
Osvaldo is one of a number of signings Inter has made this offseason, as it aims to once again be a force to be reckoned with after several disappointing seasons.
“It is useless to make judgments before the season starts,” Osvaldo said. “It’ll be on the pitch where we see whether we’re a squad which can aim for the title or not.”
The 28-year-old Osvaldo was not part of Italy’s World Cup squad, which had a disappointing group stage exit in Brazil.
“I don’t think I wasn’t called up because of the little playing time I had at Juventus,” he said. “It’s a choice I would certainly make again.”
Osvaldo, who was dropped from Italy’s Confederations Cup squad last year for insulting his club coach at Roma, has been involved in controversy on and off the pitch throughout his career.
“I have a particular character,” a laughing Osvaldo said. “But so many times journalists exaggerate or invent things which aren’t true.”