True North 2019 to explore the ‘new age of work and learning’ with Thomas L. Friedman, Roy Gori and more
KITCHENER, Ontario--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 28, 2019--
Communitech will examine the changing nature of work, education and hiring at the True North conference, happening June 19-20, 2019.
The ‘Age of Re-Learning’ theme at True North will examine our current era when we see simultaneous skills shortages and mass underemployment, when entire job categories are eliminated and new ones are created, and situations when colleges, universities, employers and HR managers all must adapt to the labour market of the future.
Age of Re-Learning speakers include:
- Thomas L. Friedman, bestselling author and New York Times foreign affairs columnist. Based on his most recent book, Friedman will break down three macro-trends driving the increasing pace of change in our world: climate change, globalization and technology.
- Roy Gori, President and CEO of Manulife. Insurance companies are evolving into tech companies that provide insurance. Gori will explore the forces shaping how and where we work and how we can work together to keep pace with the change that new technology brings with it.
- Lisa de Wilde, CEO of TVO. De Wilde will explore how tech enables us to engage media from a variety of sources, learning and building skills in new ways.
- Hamoon Ekhtiari, founder and CEO of Audacious Futures. Ekhtiari explores the expanded use of artificial intelligence, and how to use it to preserve millions of jobs, rather than replace them.
- Krystyn Harrison, founder and CEO of Prosper. Harrison gets to the heart of the matter: How will you find a job AI can’t do, avoid burnout and stay competitive in the labour market of the future?
- Sarah Prevette, founder and CEO of Future Design School. Old school is about content delivery. The school of the future is about competency development. Prevette will take you on a high-octane drive into the future of education and its impact on the world.
- Caitlin MacGregor, founder and CEO of Plum. As a “Future of Work” thought leader, MacGregor says the work of talent leaders is poised to get more interesting. Just as the general workforce will need to shift to a continuous learning approach in their careers, HR and talent leaders will have to be nimble and take a learn, un-learn, and re-learn approach to hiring and deploying talent in this new world of work.
- William Zhou, CEO of Chalk. To understand where you’re going, you need to know where you’ve been. Zhou will revisit the history of K-12 education to see what we should stop, start and continue doing in the Age of Re-Learning.
- Liu Yang and Meghan Wahab, Product Leaders at Bonfire. With machine learning and AI solutions being implemented across the economy, now is the time to prepare for an automated future. To Yang and Wahab, that means building solutions that elevate people within their organizations, instead of displacing them.
The True North conference takes place June 19 and 20 at LOT42 in Kitchener. More than 2,500 attendees will come together to hear from leading thinkers on topics including quantum computing, AI, data privacy and digital addiction. For more about the Age of Re-Learning and True North, please visit www.truenorthwaterloo.com.
Communitech was founded in 1997 by a group of entrepreneurs committed to making Waterloo Region a global innovation leader. At the time it was crazy talk, but somehow this community managed to pull it off. Today, Communitech is a public-private innovation hub that supports a community of more than 1,400 companies – from startups to scale-ups to large global players.
Communitech is a member of the Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs and helps tech companies start, grow and succeed in three distinct ways.
- Communitech is a place – the centre of gravity for entrepreneurs and innovators. A clubhouse for building cool tech and great companies.
- Communitech delivers programs – helping companies at all stages with access to capital, customers and talent. We are here to help them grow and innovate.
- Communitech partners in building a world-leading ecosystem – making sure we have all the ingredients (and the brand) to go from a small startup to a global giant.
View source version on businesswire.com:https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190528005192/en/
CONTACT: For media inquiries, please contact:
Public Relations Manager, Communitech
KEYWORD: NORTH AMERICA CANADA
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: TECHNOLOGY OTHER TECHNOLOGY PROFESSIONAL SERVICES CONSULTING HUMAN RESOURCES
Copyright Business Wire 2019.
PUB: 05/28/2019 07:00 AM/DISC: 05/28/2019 07:01 AM