Related topics

Dabord to Be Taken Off Life Support

September 26, 2002

%mlink(STRY:; PHOTO:LA108-092402; AUDIO:%)

CHULA VISTA, Calif. (AP) _ The mother of Miles Dabord planned to ask doctors to remove life support systems from her son, who is suspected of killing his brother, former NBA player Bison Dele.

Patricia Phillips said that she and other relatives were going to hold a prayer service in Dabord’s hospital room Thursday, then ask doctors to disconnect equipment.

Dabord, 35, has been hospitalized in a coma at Scripps Memorial Hospital since Sept. 14.

Hospital officials would not confirm that life support had been removed, only that Dabord was in critical condition.

Dele, his girlfriend and the skipper of their boat were last seen July 8 near the tiny island of Maiao, west of Tahiti. Investigators in the French territory believe they were killed by Dabord.

Dabord, a computer operator whose name was once Kevin Williams, overdosed on insulin and failed to treat his asthma, Phillips said. He was found in Tijuana, Mexico, and taken to Scripps on Sept. 14 and remained in a coma.

Doctors told Phillips there was no hope Dabord would come out of his coma so she went Thursday with two aunts, four cousins and a friend to pray by his bedside.

Phillips said she was planning a private memorial service for both sons on Oct. 12 at Trinity Baptist Church in West Los Angeles.

Investigators believe Dele, 33, girlfriend Serena Karlan and boat captain Bertrand Saldo were killed July 7 while sailing in French Polynesia.

Dabord made a satellite phone call from the catamaran in what was possibly his first conversation after the deaths at sea, authorities in French Polynesia said Wednesday.

Dabord abandoned his brother’s boat in Tahiti and flew home.

Authorities have interviewed Dabord’s ex-girlfriend Erica Weise, who spent time with him on the island of Moorea after the others disappeared, and she described an on-board struggle.

FBI agents also planned to question the person on the other end of the satellite phone call, who has so far been reluctant to speak to authorities, Tahiti-based investigating judge Jean-Bernard Taliercio said. The name of the person, a South Pacific resident, wasn’t disclosed.

Dabord wasn’t charged. After returning to the United States, he signed his brother’s name while trying to buy $152,000 worth of gold in Phoenix, arousing suspicion.

After he was hospitalized, he was arrested for investigation of impersonating his younger brother, who played for several NBA teams, including the Chicago Bulls 1996-97 championship team.

Dele changed his name during his basketball career to honor his mother’s American Indian ancestry.

Dele and his companions have been missing for more than 10 weeks and officials have given up hope of finding their bodies. Investigators believe they were tossed overboard into deep, shark-infested waters near the tiny Polynesian island of Maiao.

Update hourly