AP NEWS

Man, dogs escape fire at FM home

March 7, 2019

FORT MOHAVE — A Fort Mohave man was injured Tuesday morning when his home caught fire, but he and his dogs escaped the burning residence.

The man, whose identity was not released, was taken to Valley View Medical Center after suffering smoke inhalation and some burns, said Battalion Chief Jody Hall of the Fort Mojave Mesa Fire Department.

Hall said the call came in at 10:23 a.m. as a report of a gas leak in the 5600 block of Pearl Street.

Before crews arrived, he said, they learned that the double-wide manufactured home was on fire.

The resident got the two dogs out of the home before firefighters arrived, Hall said. They are now in the care of a neighbor.

Crews quickly brought the blaze under control, but the home still was smoldering nearly an hour later.

Hall said the severely damaged home has been deemed uninhabitable.

The cause of the blaze is still under investigation, he said.