10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. WHAT MAY BE ‘PROMISING’ IN MALAYSIA PLANE SEARCH
The head of a joint agency coordinating the effort calls the underwater sounds detected by a ship hunting for the black boxes “a most promising lead.”
2. MICKEY ROONEY, CONSUMMATE ENTERTAINER, DEAD AT 93
From Vaudeville act to movie star, from child actor to screen veteran, few matched Rooney for adaptability.
3. OSCAR PISTORIUS TAKES THE STAND
The athlete apologizes to the family of Reeva Steenkamp, and says he wanted to protect her.
4. WHY INDIA’S ELECTION WILL TAKE FIVE WEEKS
There are more than 814 million registered voters, so trips to the ballot boxes will need to be staggered for the biggest election on Earth.
5. UNCOMFORTABLY NUMB
As more and more people pick up heroin, more and more addicts are seeking help and finding there isn’t as much as they need.
6. AIR TRAVELERS HAVE AS MUCH TO COMPLAIN ABOUT, BUT DO SO LESS OFTEN
Service isn’t necessarily getting better, but customers are complaining less, a report finds, with smaller carriers bringing in the worst grades.
7. THE AMAZING RACE
Springtime has arrived in 2016 presidential politics, and just about everyone thinking about running for president is kicking into gear.
8. RWANDA COMMEMORATES 1994 GENOCIDE
Thousands will participate in an evening candlelight ceremony 20 years after more than 1 million people perished.
9. GEORGE STRAIT WINS ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR AT THE ACM AWARDS
The 61-year-old singer also won the same award at the rival Country Music Association Awards, an industry-voted show.
10. HUSKIES, ’CATS VIE FOR TITLE
Seventh-seeded Connecticut and eighth-seeded Kentucky meet in one of the unlikeliest NCAA championship games ever.