Couple pleads not guilty to new child abuse charges
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (AP) — The Latest in the case of a Southern California couple accused of starving and shackling their children (all times local):
A California couple already accused of starving and shackling some of their 13 children has pleaded not guilty to new charges of child abuse.
David and Louise Turpin entered pleas Friday to three new charges of abuse. Louise Turpin also pleaded not guilty to a count of felony assault.
They previously entered not-guilty pleas to torture and a raft of other charges and are being held on $12 million bail.
The Turpins were arrested last month after their 17-year-old daughter escaped from the family’s home in Perris, California, and called 911.
Authorities say they found a filthy home and malnourished kids. Some of the alleged victims are now adults.
The couple said little in court beyond agreeing to have a preliminary in May.
Lawyers say the seven adults among 13 siblings allegedly starved and shackled by a California couple are living at a medical center where they are making their own decisions for the first time.
Attorney Jack Osborn, who represents the older siblings, tells CBS News the decision-making is giving them an understanding that they do have rights and a voice.
Osborn says the siblings all have their own aspirations and interests.
CBS says the seven communicate by Skype with their younger siblings who are being cared for separately.
Riverside County obtained a temporary conservatorship over the adult siblings after one of the children escaped their home in Perris last month and called 911.
Sheriff’s deputies arrested the parents, David and Louise Turpin, who are due in court Friday for a hearing in the case.
A California couple charged with torturing their children by starving, beating and shackling them is due in court.
David and Louse Turpin are scheduled to appear Friday in a Riverside courtroom for a conference about their case.
They have pleaded not guilty to torture and other charges and each is held on $12 million bail.
The couple was arrested last month after their 17-year-old daughter escaped from the family’s home in Perris, California, and called 911. Authorities said the home reeked of human waste and evidence of starvation was obvious, with the oldest sibling weighing only 82 pounds.
The case drew international media attention and shocked neighbors who said they rarely saw the couple’s 13 children, who range in age from 2 to 29.
Authorities said the abuse was so long-running the children’s growth was stunted.