AP NEWS
Related topics

Suspended Baltimore officer focus of excessive-force probe

July 10, 2018

BALTIMORE (AP) — A Baltimore police officer who’s been indicted on charges of assault and misconduct in connection with a 2016 incident was the focus of a departmental investigation of excessive force.

Police spokesman T.J. Smith told The Baltimore Sun Tuesday that the internal investigation found Officer Carlos Rivera-Martinez used “force that appeared to be excessive” in July 2016. Smith said earlier this month that the 31-year-old Rivera-Martinez was suspended without pay after jurors indicted him for the July 2016 allegations.

Court documents released Tuesday say Rivera-Martinez committed an unlawful act while acting as a sworn police officer. What Rivera-Martinez is accused of doing in July 2016 remains unclear.

Rivera-Martinez is set to be arraigned July 24. The Sun reports online records don’t list a lawyer for him.

___

Information from: The Baltimore Sun, http://www.baltimoresun.com

AP RADIO
Update hourly