AP NEWS
Related topics

Names in the News

November 28, 1985

NEW ORLEANS (AP) _ Singer Peggy Lee, spending the Thanksgiving holiday in a hospital room, is expected to be home for Christmas and should be able to return to the stage, a hospital spokesman said.

″If her progress continues as we have reason to believe it will, she should be able to go home in approximately 10 days,″ Dr. Tom Oelsner said in a statement read Wednesday by hospital spokesman Renee Abadie.

Doctors stitched up a small hole in the 65-year-old singer’s chest Wednesday, closing an area left open so an infection that set in after open heart surgery could drain, Abadie said.

″This has been an exceedingly lengthy and tedious pull for Miss Lee. However, her spirits have remained unfaltering,″ Abadie quoted the doctor and Miss Lee as saying. Doctors said she should be able to return to the stage.

The Grammy award-winning singer and songwriter underwent double bypass surgery Oct. 7 after complaining of chest pains during a concert appearance.

---

MILWAUKEE (AP) - Norman Vincent Peale, author of ″The Power of Positive Thinking,″ will officiate at the wedding of Sen. Robert W. Kasten Jr. next year, the senator’s office said.

Kasten, R-Wis., said in a statement Wednesday that the 87-year-old Peale had ″been a friend for a number of years″ and that he and his bride feel ″it is a very special way for us to begin our life together.″

Kasten, 43, announced several weeks ago that he and Eva Jean Nimmons, 34, employed by a New York advertising firm, would marry Jan. 4 in New York City.

It is the first marriage for both.

---

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Singer Willie Nelson said four $1 million endowments to assist farmers will be set up with part of the $10 million raised by the FarmAid concert in September.

The interest from one endowment is slated to finance Future Farmers of America scholarships, Nelson said Wednesday, while another will fund projects to educate people about problems of farmers.

A third endowment will help buy food for financially strapped farm families, and a fourth will bring in money for a legal ″hot line″ telephone number to assist farmers in need, he said.

″Right now we’re having the legal people check out the best way to set this up, but in the next few days to a month we’re going to go ahead and start doing it,″ the country and western entertainer said.

Nelson organized the Sept. 22 concert at the University of Illinois at Champaign to draw attention to the plight of American farmers and the declining farm industry.

Plans are being formulated for the remainder of the funds, according to spokesmen for Nelson.

---

DETROIT (AP) - It was a close shave, but the people of Detroit have voted out the beard Mayor Coleman Young recently sprouted.

A bare 51 percent of 1,486 people responding to a telephone survey thought the city’s veteran mayor should shave his beard, The Detroit Free Press reported in today’s editions. The other 49 percent liked the new look.

Young said he would decide whether to shave after the first of the year.

″It makes the mayor look older and spoils his beautiful smile,″ one woman told the newspaper, while others said they though his beard made him look ″sexy″ and ″distinguished.″

The margin was much closer than Young’s last contest before the voters, in November, when he won election to a fourth term with 61 percent of the vote.