CCSU student sickened with meningitis
NEW BRITAIN — A student at Central Connecticut State University is being treated for bacterial meningitis after falling “seriously ill,” university officials said.
According to an email from CCSU officials, the student had been receiving treatment for bacterial meningitis as a “safety precaution.” But, on Monday, the Connecticut Department of Public Health informed the school that initial test results confirm the student has bacterial meningiti. The exact subtype of the illness is not known at this time, but that information is expected within the next 48 hours.
“The Connecticut State Department of Health emphasizes that this is a singular case and is not an outbreak,” the CCSU email reads. “Casual contact does not transmit bacterial meningitis. The infection is only spread by close, person-to-person contact. Therefore, we have been in touch with all students who have had very close, personal contact with the ill student, and they have been given preventative treatment.”
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, most people recover from meningitis, but the infection can lead to permanent disabilities — brain damage, hearing loss and learning disabilities — or death. Symptoms include sudden onset of fever, headache, stiff neck, nausea, vomiting, increased sesitivity to light and confusion.
The illness is typically treated with antibiotics.
CCSU is urging its community to hang tight in the wake of the announcement.
“Although this is concerning news, we assure you that the University is working with health experts to ensure the safety of our campus community and are confident we have reached out to anyone who might be at risk for contracting the infection,” the email reads.
Those who have developed any symptoms are advised to contact their primary care physician or go to an urgent care center.
Those with questions can call CCSU Health Services at 860-832-1939.