CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) — The city of Cedar Rapids says a man who lit a firework lost parts of several fingers after the device exploded while he was holding it.

Officials said Wednesday in a news release that the incident happened Tuesday evening, severely damaging one of the 19-year-old man's hands.

Officials reminded the public that use of fireworks within city limits is banned.

The Cedar Rapids Fire Department says it responded last year to 13 fire incidents involving fireworks, including three building fires. Hospitals in the area treated 21 patients last year for fireworks injuries.