AP NEWS
Related topics

Conway sugarhouse to keep working despite fire

March 23, 2015

CONWAY, Mass. (AP) — The owner of a Franklin County sugarhouse says a fire that torched a third of the building won’t stop him from making and selling maple syrup.

Howard Boyden, owner of Boyden Brothers Sugarhouse in Conway, tells The Recorder (http://bit.ly/1GKTEZ0 ) he used a garden house to keep the fire that started Sunday in a wood storage area from spreading to the evaporator room until firefighters arrived.

He says firefighters made a “miraculous save” in preventing the entire structure from burning down.

Fire Chief Robert Baker says Boyden called 911 at about 1 p.m. as he and his wife rushed customers out of the building.

Baker said Boyden was boiling sap when a spark from the wood fire evidently blew out of the chimney and into the wood room, sparking the blaze.

___

Information from: The (Greenfield, Mass.) Recorder, http://www.recorder.com

AP RADIO
Update hourly