Rabin’s son receives death threat while attending memorial
JERUSALEM (AP) _ Yitzhak Rabin’s son received a death threat as he attended a memorial ceremony on the second anniversary of his father’s assassination.
The threat was made Wednesday in a call to Yuval Rabin’s mobile phone, said Tal Silberstein, a leader of the Dor Shalom peace group which the younger Rabin founded after the assassination.
The ominous message was recorded on Rabin’s voice mail and was played on Israel radio Thursday. The caller said: ``If you follow in your father’s footsteps, you will end up as he did.″
Rabin, Israel’s prime minister, was shot by Yigal Amir, an ultranationalist Jew, during a Nov. 4, 1995, peace rally in Tel Aviv. Wednesday was observed as the anniversary of the assassination according to the Hebrew calendar.
The younger Rabin had turned off his mobile phone while attending a memorial service at his father’s grave in a Jerusalem cemetery. The voice mail, which also records the time, showed that the call was placed during the service.
Silberstein told the radio that Dor Shalom has received other threats, but this was the first made directly to the younger Rabin.
Another threat was made Thursday against Shimon Sheves, one of Yitzhak Rabin’s chief aides and now a supporter of Dor Shalom.
An anonymous phone caller told Sheves: ``If you continue in the path of your friend, we will strike against you as well.″
Earlier this week, a former head of the Shin Bet security service said the deep divisions and hate-filled climate in the country could lead to more political assassinations.