Firefighters: Tossed cigarette likely caused apartment blaze
LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — Authorities say a fire that destroyed an apartment building in northern Lincoln was likely started by a cigarette carelessly tossed outside the building.
The blaze at the Black Sand Apartment Homes was reported around 5 a.m. Wednesday, and more than a dozen firetrucks eventually were dispatched as flames leaped from the roof.
Officials say the fire caused $2.5 million in damage and displaced more than 50 people living in the 30-unit building.
No residents were injured, but two firefighters suffered minor injuries while fighting the blaze.
The fire was brought under control by 6:15 a.m.
Firefighters say the apartments were equipped with water sprinklers, but none were located in the area where the fire started, allowing the fire to grow.