AP NEWS
Click to copy
Click to copy

Charges dismissed in City Hall ‘threat’ case

By KELLEY SMITH Staff WriterMay 27, 2019

MICHIGAN CITY — The state will not pursue a criminal case against a local man accused by the mayor of threatening to “shoot up” City Hall last November.

La Porte County Prosecutor John Lake said he made the decision after watching 14 hours of video footage and determining no “direct or credible” threat had been made to give his office probable cause to prosecute Rodney Joseph McCormick on a felony intimidation charge.

“The story of the mayor on police body cams changes on what was said,’’ Lake said Tuesday. “If you totally believe everything the mayor is saying, his first comment is that Rodney said, ‘I might have to shoot this place up.’ … ‘I might have to’ relates to a future event. That’s not intimidation; that’s not a threat.”

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.