Officials: Passerby, others rescue man from house fire
FRANKLIN, Vt. (AP) — Fire officials say a passerby helped rescue a man from a house fire in northern Vermont.
Investigators say 65-year-old William Mayo spotted a woman on her porch in Franklin acting frantically while smoke was coming out of the garage Wednesday. Officials say due to a poor cell signal, Mayo drove to the phone center in town and asked them to call 911. He then went to the general store and got two men to help, knowing that the woman’s husband was an amputee and would have trouble getting out.
The three men got Terry Pilion out his bed and house, before the house became fully engulfed. Firefighters tried to put out the fire, but the house was a total loss.
The fire started in the garage near an electrical outlet.