Deportation ordered for former Nazi concentration camp guard
PHILADELPHIA (AP) _ A retired baker who was a concentration camp guard for the Nazis will be deported for taking Jews and others on a death march to Auschwitz during World War II, government prosecutors announced.
The deportation order for Nikolaus Schiffer came from Immigration Judge John Gossert Jr., who said the 78-year-old Philadelphia native tormented prisoners at three concentration camps in Germany and Poland.
``Schiffer personally testified to his participation in a death march from Hersbruck to Auschwitz on which weakened prisoners were shot or left to die when they could not continue,″ Gossert said Monday.
Schiffer, who admitted to being a guard but denied knowing of the atrocities within the camps, will be deported to Romania. The telephone number at his home in New Ringgold, 60 miles northwest of Philadelphia, was unlisted and he could not be reached for comment.
Schiffer becomes the latest in a series of former Nazi camp guards to be ordered out of the country.
Ferdinand Hammer, a 75-year-old retired foundry worker, was ordered in April to be deported to Croatia for covering up his past as a guard at five concentration camps. He had lived in the United States since 1955.
Also last month, a federal judge in Chicago revoked the U.S. citizenship of Bronislaw Hajda, saying the 73-year-old retired machinist lied when he denied participating in a massacre of hundreds of Jews at the Treblinka death camp. The Justice Department is seeking to have him deported.
Prosecutors said Schiffer joined the Romanian army when it was allied with Germany, and later served in Hitler’s elite Waffen SS.
Schiffer was an armed guard on labor details in the Sachsenhausen and Hersbruck concentration camps in Germany and the Majdanek camp and Trawniki SS training camp in Poland, the government charged.
He was stripped of his U.S. citizenship in 1993 and ordered to leave the country by a federal judge, clearing the way for deportation proceedings.
Another Pennsylvania man, 80-year-old Jonas Stelmokas of Lansdowne, was stripped of his U.S. citizenship in 1995 after prosecutors claimed he helped Nazis massacre thousands of Lithuanian Jews.
Stelmokas denied the charge and has fought attempts to have him deported.