AP NEWS

Be mindful of carbon monoxide this winter

November 12, 2018

NORFOLK - The colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas called Carbon Monoxide is a very fatal, especially around this time of year.

According to data from the Center for Disease Control Nebraska ranks 5th among the top five states with the most carbon monoxide poisoning related fatalities in the U.S.

City of Norfolk Fire Marshal Terry Zwiebel highly encourages you to get a carbon monoxide alarm if you don’t already have one.

Zwiebel says you can buy a 2 in 1 carbon monoxide and smoke alarm unit.

“The only down fall of the 2 in 1 system is most carbon monoxide detectors have a five year life span while smoke detectors have a 10 year life span. So you’re going to be shortchanging yourself a little bit on the smoke detector, but it’s nice to have one detector doing both items.”

Zwiebel says if your carbon monoxide alarm goes off, leave your house, call 911, and keep your house closed up.

He says by keeping it closed up they will be able to better identify if there was a leak and where it came from.

AP RADIO
Update hourly