AP NEWS

Officials: DeKalb fire causes $100K in damage, ruled accidental

November 20, 2018

DeKALB – The fire that consumed an upstairs bedroom and burned the exterior of a two-story house in the Heatherstone subdivision caused about $100,000 in damage and has been ruled accidental thus far, according to a news release sent Tuesday by the DeKalb Fire Department.

The department responded to the fire about 11:45 a.m., and it took about an hour to get the fire at 1755 Tallmeadow Drive under control, according to the release. It says the fire started in the bedroom, which was “engulfed” with fire when crews arrived.

Two neighbors who live across the street, Nury Gonzalez, 55, and her daughter, Brittany Gonzalez, 18, said after they heard a fire alarm about 11:45 a.m., they heard the resident, Eric Peterson, calling for help and shouting for his dog. They ran across the street in their bathrobes and helped him to safety, even providing him slippers and a blanket.

Kim Waterman, media relations manager with Northwestern Medicine, said after Peterson was taken to Kishwaukee Hospital, he was transferred Monday afternoon to OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, where staff said he was in critical condition Monday night.

A dog and cat were rescued from the residence, as well. No firefighters were hurt, according to the release.

The Sycamore, Cortland, Shabbona, Burlington and Maple Park fire departments assisted in the incident, along with the DeKalb Police Department.

AP RADIO
Update hourly