AP NEWS
Related topics

Bic Wins Lawsuit

July 30, 1993

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) _ Bic Corp. has won a lawsuit in which a mother contended the design of the company’s disposable lighter led to a fire in which her 2-year-old son and his 11-month-old twin brother and sister died.

The Maine Superior Court jury reached a verdict Thursday night, finding that the lighter started the November 1984 fire, but that Bic’s product was not unreasonably dangerous.

Pamela Redman of Topsham, Maine, whose three children died in the fire, claimed the company was negligent for failing to produce a child-resistant lighter. She was seeking unspecified damages.

Bic issued a statement from its Milford, Conn., headquarters noting that there have been more than 50 similar court decisions in its favor since 1988.

AP RADIO
Update hourly