Gas leak prompts employees to evacuate North Dakota Mill
GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) — Xcel Energy has safely stopped a natural gas leak that prompted employees to evacuate the North Dakota State Mill and Elevator in Grand Forks.
The Grand Forks Fire Department was called around 1 p.m. Wednesday after a contractor working near the mill struck a natural gas line.
Fire crews arrived to find a one-and-a-half-inch gas line had been severed and was releasing natural gas into the air. Personnel from Xcel Energy also responded.
Employees of the State Mill already had decided to evacuate. The Fire Department monitored the area to make sure natural gas had not reached dangerous levels.
No evacuations were ordered and no one was hurt. Firefighters left after the gas leak was stopped and the area was deemed safe.