Boy on Bicycle Spots Flames, Rescues 14 People
PINE BLUFF, Ark. (AP) _ A 17-year-old boy who spotted flames while on a bicycle ride was credited with saving 14 people from a burning mobile home. One child died.
Steven Hines said things ``just happened so quick″ that he didn’t have time to think of his own safety when he discovered the fire Saturday night.
Lee Fowler, 74, and her husband, Prince Fowler, 75, were baby-sitting for 13 children between the ages of 4 and 13. Hines said he went inside the mobile home when he couldn’t rouse anyone by a knock at the door.
``Everybody was asleep. ... The fire was over my head and I didn’t pay no attention,″ Hines said.
``I had to carry the little kids and I had to push the grandma out in a wheelchair,″ he said.
When firefighters arrived, the home was engulfed in flames. Assistant Fire Chief J.N. Bradshaw said the fire was caused by a wood stove.
Sanford Madison, 9, was found dead of smoke inhalation on the floor between two beds.