Gas Leak Forces Home Evacuations In Scranton
A natural gas leak forced the evacuation of homes in the 800 block of Prospect Avenue this morning, a UGI Penn Natural Gas spokesman said.
UGI spokesman Joe Swope said a UGI inspector called for city firefighters at 10:23 a.m. after finding higher than normal levels of natural gas while investigating a gas odor report.
Swope said the inspector called PPL Electric Utilities to cut power to the neighborhood. PPL did that at 11:05 a.m., he said.
City Assistant Fire Chief Jeff White said a resident smelled gas and called UGI, which traced the leak to a gas control valve on the street.
Seven residents evacuated to a Goodwill Industries office at 925 Prospect, White said. Others left the area. The block has about 10 homes. Some homes on Beech and Birch streets also evacuated.
The utility has begun repairs, White said. He was unsure when residents may return to their homes.
He speculated the wind blew the odor into residents’ homes.
Cutting the power caused an outage for PPL, which was reporting 232 customers without power in Scranton. The utility said power should be restored by 2:30 p.m.
Contact the writer: email@example.com; 570-348-9147; @BorysBlogTT on Twitter.