Nigeria avoids ban after meeting FIFA conditions
ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — FIFA says the Nigeria football federation has met its demands to reinstate ousted officials and will not be suspended.
The officials were removed last month in an election football’s governing body did not recognize. FIFA demanded that they be allowed to return to work by Monday and improperly-elected officials leave. FIFA said Tuesday it was satisfied that those conditions were met.
In a letter addressed to the restored NFF president Aminu Maigari, FIFA said it noted Maigari and his management “were able to return to the office and work without hindrance.” FIFA added: “we also note that the persons claiming to have been elected vacated the premises.”
FIFA had threatened Nigeria with a ban from international competition for the second time in two months. Nigeria’s African Cup of Nations qualifier against South Africa on Wednesday can now go ahead.