San Antonio man facing 12-year term in death of son
A San Antonio man accused of fatally shooting his 14-year-old son last year is facing prison after entering a plea of no contest Wednesday.
Andres Delgado III, 45, was charged with manslaughter in the death of his son, Andres Delgado IV. The teen was shot as he slept in his home on the East Side.
At a hearing Wednesday before Judge Ron Rangel, Delgado entered a plea of no contest to the manslaughter charge and faces up to a maximum sentence of 12 years in prison. He has applied for probation.
It was around 6 a.m. on March 14, 2018, when San Antonio police arrived at home in the 100 block of Denver Boulevard near Mesquite Street to investigate a shooting. The elder Delgado was holding his son in his arms when first responders got there. Shot once in the abdomen, the boy died about an hour later.
The father told authorities he heard glass breaking in his daughter’s room, that he saw an armed gunman there and that someone fired two shots in the room.
Using three handguns, an AR-15 and his shotgun, Delgado told police he returned fire in defense of his family, an arrest affidavit stated.
Investigators said at the time that Delgado’s story of a break-in and a shot being fired into the home did not match up with evidence at the scene. They found suspected narcotics, more than 50 live rounds of handgun, rifle and shotgun ammunition inside the home, along with several bullets and bullet fragments in almost every room of the house, an arrest affidavit stated.
After investigators concluded the father “recklessly shot the different weapons (and) accidentally shot the victim,” according to the affidavit, Delgado was arrested March 27, 2018.
Delgado is expected to be sentenced by Rangel on May 3 after a sentencing hearing in the 379th state District Court.
Elizabeth Zavala covers county and state courts in San Antonio. Read her on our free site, mySA.com, and on our subscriber site, ExpressNews.com. | firstname.lastname@example.org | Twitter: @elizabeth2863